Thursday, January 9, 2014

Hello, Helsinki!

I got to my apartment about this time last night and ended up unpacking and researching what I wanted to do today until it was time for breakfast.  Oddly enough, breakfast is included in my rent, along with weekly cleaning and fresh sheets!  Not sure why this wasn't the case in every other apartment I've ever rented....seems like it should be standard.

Although sleep was probably needed, exploring the neighborhood was a much better option.  So, after breakfast, I found a small grocery store across the street, next to the tram stop that takes me to work.  I also found a gym to join on the other side of the street. The neighborhood is clean, peaceful and quiet. Now, if only the sun would come up before 9:30am.

This afternoon I had an appointment with the Fulbright Office and also got to meet a few fellow Fulbrighters over dinner.  Everyone I've met is friendly and excited about our experience here, although there are only a few of us staying here in Helsinki.

Today has been filled with getting used to my new surroundings and beginning to figure things out.  I loved learning the tram system, walking around the city and being surrounded by a language I do not understand. I did learn two words today: olut (beer) and katu (street). Two very good things to know, I'm sure you'll agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment